Career Level: Skilled
Job Type: contract
Date Posted: March-13-2017
Closing Date: March-29-2017
The engaged person shall execute the roles and responsibilities here stated while maintaining a high level of professionalism, integrity and competence.
1) Develop plans for the agronomy department and ensure that the plans are executed successfully and professionally.
2) Prepare annual production budget of the respective clustered customers per area per product.
3) Prepare an annual expenses budget for all the planned departmental activities.
4) Plan and prepare regular meetings with all company registered customers who need agronomy services to boost their production
5) Plan for various ways the department can keep generating income for the company
6) Plan regular field check for both company gardens and for clients
2. Organization and Implemention
1) Ensure timely Insect, weed and disease monitoring/ diagnosis.
2) Conduct growers’ meetings so as to keep on track with their progress
3) Ensure commercial growers meetings letters are sent to respective groups within minimum of 3weeks prior to meeting date.
4) Ensure all farmer groups registered with company achieve expected output by conducting record keeping, group meetings and regular visits
5) Ensuring good production quality consistently and reliably
6) Ensure soil sample of each garden are carefully taken and tested and results communicated to the farmer
7) Ensuring agreed outline programs are followed
8) Soil moisture status monitoring
9) Ensure Irrigation scheduling is well followed
10) Make Ag chemical, fertilizer and seed recommendations for all company farmers
11) Advise farmers on Crop rotation planning and hybrid/ variety selection recommendations
12) Ensure good agronomic practices are followed so as to attract referrals and create more customer opportunities.
13) Should be able to understand Precision Ag, services [including GIS/GPS information]
14) Must provide monthly detailed computerised field reports and permanent record keeping solutions
15) Provide personal/ promotional presentations as needed.
16) Other duties as shall be assigned by management
1) Confirmation of actual planting schedules as agreed by farmers is properly followed
2) Set production targets for all company farmers and ensure weekly agronomist evaluation as per agreed production target
Key skills and competencies for the job
1) Proficient computer skills-Microsoft Office Software, email, internet and spread sheets.
2) Good diagnostic and decision making skills
3) Proven ability to efficiently communicate-verbal and written skills
4) Demonstrate skills in sales [our agronomists don’t sale products- only quality service]
5) Ability to work independently and proceed with objectives without close supervision.
6) Desire to serve farmers and other involved in the agriculture industry.
7) Willingness to work as a team member
8) Desire to remain updated with new agricultural trends and technology.
9) Self-motivated, willingness to learn and good work ethics.
10) Ability to work outside during heat of day and ability to walk several miles per day
11) Ability to learn quickly
12)Ability to determine work priorities
13)Ability to make decisions and take appropriate actions
14)Ability to meet schedules and deadline of the work area.
15)Ability to meet perform mathematical calculations
17)Accurate and attentive to detail
18)Ability to assist and support others
19)Able to operate telephone, PC, Copiers and other basic business machines
20)Ability to multi task.
21)Knowledge of the supervisor’s point of view and priorities
22)Ability to coordinate with all staff
23)Reading and writing abilities
24)Ability to determine necessary innovations within the company and cause growth. Enhancing company’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
25)Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet company core values.
26)Proactively establish and maintain effective team relationships.
Education:Adegree of Science in Agriculture/hot culture
Experience: a minimum of 3years hands on experience in both open field and greenhouse farming
To apply for any of the above positions please do the following;
1) Hand deliver to the reception a detailed CV providing the three  references, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer, copies of academic and professional certificates, copies of your identification cards, letters of recommendation if any and a day time telephone contact addressed:
To the Human Resource Manager
SIRACO IRRIGATION COMPANY LTD.
Plot2758, Ntinda Kampala
P.O Box 22076, Kampala
Submissions are only acceptable during normal work hours that’s between 8:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday and from 9:00am-4:00pm on Saturdays
3) No late submissions will be accepted
4) No lobbying of any sort is by any means accepted. Whoever does it shall be disqualified automatically
5) Closing date will be 20th march 2017
While we appreciate, and thank all applicants for the interest of wanting to work with us, only those shortlisted for the interviews will be contacted.